Sunday, January 20, 2013


My first "Lakwatsa" in 2013 was in Hagimit Waterfalls in Peñaplata District in the Island Garden City of Samal (IGaCoS). My first visit here was when I was in College, with my classmates in University of Mindanao  ten years ago. That time, the falls was free to the public because it was not maintained and no cottage at all.  


Hagimit Falls is located some two kilometers from Peñaplata proper, the capital district of Samal Island, or about 15 to 20 minutes through rough road ride but is easily accessible by any type of transportation.


Before I reached the falls, I noticed the number of houses and some are in on-going construction. I think these houses are rest houses and owned by some of the foreigner who married a Filipina in Samal.


From the Highway, I walked for 10-15 minutes going to the area. In other way, you can drop to the Poblacion Peñaplata and take a ride going to the Falls.



Upon reaching the area, I paid Php40.00 for the Entrance Fee.


Going to the falls was challenging, I have to walk for almost 150 big steps in-order to reach the area.


Upon entering the resort I was amazed with the cascade of several smaller waterfalls that stream into a natural catch basin of cool waters surrounded by a verdant canopy of fully grown trees, mostly of hagimit trees (ficus minahassae) from where the waterfall got its name, and which serves as a natural shade from the searing heat of the Sun.


There are bridges in the resort to simply reach different falls.


To complete my adventure, I climbed to the very root of the falls. I was curious with the idea of a falls in an island surrounded by salt water. 



The waters are generally clear and appear aqua blue in color most of the time particularly during summer but may turn a bit murky when it rains. The smaller streams may also run dry during summer peak or swell into a raging river when it is flooded during rainy season.


How to get to Hagimit Falls

There are two ways in which to get to Samal Island from Davao City: Via a a ferry boat service at the Sta. Ana Wharf near Magsaysay Park, or through a RORO (Roll-On, Roll-Off) at Km. 11 in Sasa  Wharf. Either way, both will take you to Samal Island from where you can get a habal-habal ride that will bring you directly to the site. 
















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

.

Share Your Blessings

Popular Posts

free counters